Sunday, May 29th, 2022 saw the Force awaken in Essex – the newly-minted city of Southend-on-Sea, specifically – as the first Screen Signers by the Sea convention was held at the Park Inn by Radisson Palace Hotel.
Organised by Star Wars actors Ross Sambridge (Supreme Leader Snoke in The Last Jedi) and Chris Bunn (the original stormtrooper in A New Hope), the event saw talent from across the eras descend on the city to sign for fans, pose for photos, and deliver tales from a galaxy far, far away.
Amongst the Star Wars signers were…
- Ross Sambridge
- Chris Bunn
- Sandeep Mohan – Stormtrooper (The Force Awakens), Shore Trooper (Rogue One), Snowtrooper (The Last Jedi)
- Pam Rose – Leesub Sirln (A New Hope)
- Matt Tyler – Wookiee (Solo: A Star Wars Story)
- Mike Edmonds – Chief Ugnaught (The Empire Strikes Back), Logray (Return of the Jedi)
- David Stone – Wioslea (A New Hope), Will Scotian (The Empire Strikes Back), Keyan Farlander (Return of the Jedi)
To celebrate, and to grab some seaside doughnuts, Matt went along to chat Star Wars with the attendees and you can hear his discussions on our SWS Extra episode.
With members of Essex Cosplayers on hand also, the event proved popular with fans and locals with plans being prepared to return to the city again in 2023.
For event photos, head to the gallery.